TEDxGatewayArch Chapter Will Host Arts Inspired Mini-Conference on September 12th at The Pageant
125 Views- Visitors
Speakers share experiences in breaking from conventional thought.
TEDxGatewayArch, a local TEDx chapter that curates connections to the St. Louis region with thought-leadership led events, will host its second event of the 2019 season, Crash Course, from 6 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 12 at The Pageant. The Pageant is located at 6161 Delmar Blvd in St. Louis.
“It isn’t news that St. Louis has a vibrant and dynamic community of innovators, challengers and inspiring individuals,” said Steve Sommers, executive director of TEDxGatewayArch. “With TEDxGatewayArch, we are excited to share the work of these entertainers, athletes and intellectual revolutionaries to make a difference here in our city and outward.”
The goal of every TEDx event is to push the limits on personal understanding through experiential talks. The Crash Course event will host four local speakers who will share perspectives on issues that impact the St. Louis region and challenge current thought, as well as performances by three entertainers to enliven the human spirit.
Event speakers and presentations include:
- Wally Siewert – The Paradox of Democracy – Siewert speaks to the frameworks of political and moral theory to disassemble the current controversy and explains a non-partisan map of values and the importance of cooperation across ideologies.
- Yvonne Osei Oppong Bio – When Clothing Transcends – Bio explores beauty, colorism and political impacts of cultures and how that has been affected colonialism and the celebration of difference.
- Jean Ponzi – Earth Needs Negativity – Ponzi’s experience in eco-logical teaching, storytelling and song help her to welcome fellow humans to a perspective from the earth that teaches us how things we label as negative can have surprising beauty and benefit.
- Sarah Aman – Designing for Impact – From experience exhibition and graphic design, Aman shares her passion for sustainable action and environmental conservation to create a better, greener future.
- Percy Green – Interview – Green has fought for racial equality his entire life and shares that activism through the story of an entire lifetime devoted to social work and shattering the status quo.
“Our goal for TEDxGatewayArch is to create a community with innovation and equity,” said Mich Hancock, co-founder and license holder of TEDxGatewayArch. “The speakers coming to our stage are going to share just that.”
Refreshments will be available, and music will be provided by the Jeremiah Johnson Band, whose music blends St. Louis blues with Southern rock and country. An American blues singer, guitarist and songwriter, Johnson performs with Benet Schaeffer on drums, Frank Bauer on sax with backing vocals, and Tom Maloney and Tony Anthonis on bass/slide guitar. In addition, Jack Grelle, a folk, country and rock and roll singer-songwriter from St. Louis, and Thom Wall, a classical yet avant-garde gentleman juggler, will provide performance entertainment.
VIP Tickets for the Crash Course event are available individually for $75 and include early admission, preferred seating, a pre-party catered by Pi Pizza, beverage tickets and St. Louis-made appetizers. General admission tickets are available individually for $40 or a group of 10 or more at $35 each. To purchase tickets, visit TEDxGatewayArch.org/crash-course.